sweet-art

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Mascarpone

I never understood what the fuss was about with a tiramisu, especially a homemade one but now I know. It's the mascarpone. The key ingredient and the reason why it's usually more expensive than most desserts on the same menu.

My fancy for mascarpone started just early this year when I had breakfast at the Grocery Bar, East Melbourne. I love my eggs and a hot brekky so although I am always very tempted to try the very interesting sweet selection for breakfast, I hardly do. The Groccery Bar doesn't have a very interesting hot breakfast selection but no one really needs to if they do the simple things well but I didn't think highly enough of that place to have to get eggs that morning. Since I live just above it and can go back for their eggs if they were good, I decided to try their poached pear with mascarpone on homemade fruit toast. It was gorgeous. Mascarpone made the dish in terms of flavour and texture, a topping for all the fruits over boring yogurt. Sadly, I did not think highly of it beforehand to have capture a picture of it.

Good things does not come to an end as I had another welcomed opportunity at breakfast with Yii Vern at Madam Sou Sou, Brunswick St. We ordered our desired hot brekky but thoughts alike, we ordered a sweet option to follow, to share of course. Such a blessing to have dear friends with so much similarities.


Creamy Scrambled with Double-Smoked Bacon












Poached Eggs with Spinach and Mushrooms















French toast with cinnamon mascarpone and poached pear drizziled with honey

The toast was very carefully crumbed with cinnamon giving it a light unique texture. I love how the mascarpone was of solid texture that slowly melted onto the toast allowing you to savour the full bodiedness of this creamy cheese. I think having dinner here and sampling the dessert menu would be a next to-do. I can't leave out the all time favourite Tiramisu when sharing my new love for mascapone can I? Especially since it's also one of Jade's (my darling sister) favourite dessert. When we were in Rome, we were practically in search for the best tiramisu. Well, that's because good gelato was just everywhere in your face.


Jade's 23rd in Rome

Good Tiramisu is hard to come by and it's so unlike me to order it if it's not highly recommended but at Don Vincenzo, Brunswick St, I did, because it looked good and it really tasted good thankfully. It was originally in a huge bowl before they served us this pile. It certainly had a rustic homemade look to it. Apparently, except for the chocolate mud cake, their chefs make all the cakes in house. And it's got some unique creations too.














Dark Chocolate and Kahlua Cheesecake


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home