sweet-art

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Darrewill Farmhouse - Hamilton

Pear and Chocolate Creme Brulee

Creme brulee is always a mystery. Beneath the crisp scortched surfaced, you'd not know what lies beneath and as I dugged my spoon to crack the top, this centre was a light and creamy, a vanilla bean mix, with a hint of chocolate. It's such a different way to have this accompany a poached fruit rather than simple yogurt, cream or ice cream. Chocolate and pear is a fantastic combination. It's so beautiful to find a delicate chocolate and pear tart - sweetness all the way without tang.


Duck

Back to the main fare. Darrewill has a very creative range of food. It's very rare for me to go back to a place twice (but then again there aren't too many choices in Hamilton) and I don't think I've ever ordered the same thing twice in a restaurant before but as I ponder about the chicken breast with pear and walnut salad and fried crumbed camembert on my second visit, I ordered the really delicious duck again. The organic roast was tender and crisp on the skin served with a red wine jus. The mash was so flavourfully balanced with perfect wilted spinach and caramelised capsicum but the big surprise is the pithivier. Within the large globe pastry is unique quail and duck filling. This is one truly fullfilling meal, but, there's always room for their wonderful dessert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home